Ali is one of the pioneers of Dispute Resolution in the UAE, practicing international arbitration and litigation for over 35 years.
He has full rights of audience before the Dubai Courts (Civil Courts) and Common Law Courts (DIFC & ADGM) and is one of the few Emirati Nationals who can practice both civil and common law. Other than the Dubai Courts, he also regularly appears before various arbitration institutions including the ICC, DIAC, DIFC-LCIA and more. He is also admitted to the bar of the DIFC Courts as a registered Part II practitioner.
Due to his extensive experience in the field of Arbitration, Ali is considered an arbitrator of choice for his excellent command over matters of civil law and strong familiarity with common law principles. He is frequently nominated and acts as Chairman of Arbitral Panels, in addition to acting as co-arbitrator, and often sits as an arbitrator in ad hoc or institutional arbitration matters (whether regional or international).
He has served as the UAE representative at the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) in Paris, France, where he attended sessions of the Court of the ICC tasked with making a final review of all ICC awards. He was also a member of the Board of Directors of the ICC-UAE and was Chairman of the ICC-UAE Commission on Arbitration & ADR. He is currently a member of the DFSA Financial Markets Tribunal and a member of the ADGM Arbitration Centre Panel of Arbitrators. His experience includes acting as both in-house corporate lawyer, and litigator and arbitrator.
Ali is considered as the ‘go-to’ lawyer on all matters of UAE law. With a proven track record in providing expert opinion and having been cross examined before Arbitral panels, Ali accepts instructions on all matters of UAE law with a particular emphasis on construction, corporate, and banking. He has also provided several expert reports and given evidence concerning issues relating to UAE law before foreign courts, such as England and Wales, New York, Queensland, Oslo, and before many international arbitration forums.
Ali is frequently instructed to act as counsel in institutional and ad-hoc arbitrations covering DIAC, ICC, ADCCAC, UNCITRAL, and others. His arbitration practice covers a diverse range of legal disputes with a predominant focus on complex construction, commercial and corporate matters.
He is highly ranked in legal directories and has received multiple awards and recognitions such as Who’s Who legal, Chambers & Partners, Chambers Global, Dubai Courts, Dubai Chamber of Commerce, and others.
Prior to establishing Al Aidarous Advocates & Legal Consultants, Ali represented and advised diverse business clients in matters concerning international sales/distribution contracts, franchising, banking, Islamic Finance, insurance and re-insurance, carriage (air and sea), construction, real estate, intellectual property, joint ventures, corporate governance, corporate establishments (both in free zones and in the UAE generally), securities and international arbitration. He has acted as both a litigator and a legal advisor, which has allowed him to develop extensive knowledge of the civil law in the UAE.
- Honors, Licensed in Law and Sharia, Al Ain University, UAE (1981)
- French commercial law studies, Clermont-Ferrand University, France (1984)
- “Spotlight”, LexisNexis Middle East, Law Alert Magazine, 2023
- “Managing Partner Report” LexisNexis Middle East, 2023
- Published various articles in professional and specialized periodicals, such as publications of the GCC’s Commercial Arbitration Center, the UAE Contractors Association, and the Computer Resellers News
- Selected as a regular contributor of articles relating to litigation in the UAE by the International Law Office (ILO), media partner of the International Bar Association (IBA)
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
- The Strategies and Financial Committee of the Dispute Resolution Authority (DRA) at the DIFC.
- ADGM Arbitration Centre Panel of Arbitrators
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Chairman of the ICC-UAE Commission on Arbitration & ADR
- ICC Arab Arbitration Forum
- College Advisory Board (CAB) of the College of Law, University of Dubai
- Arabic –Native
- English – Fluent
- French – Fluent
- Who’s Who: Recognition recommended in Arbitration 2022
- Chambers & Partners, Global, Most In-Demand Arbitrators, 2023
- Chambers & Partners, Dispute Resolution: Domestic, 2023
- Chambers Global: Winner Middle East 2021: Highly recommended as a ranked lawyer in the Dispute Resolution
- Who’s Who: Recognition recommended in Arbitration 2021
- Dubai Arbitration Awards: First place in the co-arbitrator category at the Dubai Arbitration Awards 2018 hosted by the Dubai International Arbitration Center (DIAC)
- Professional Wing: Award from the Professionals Wing as a token of thanks for enlightening members on “Transactional Risks in the Real Estate Market” presented by Professionals Wing, Pakistan Association Dubai, 2018
- Dubai Chamber of Commerce: Award from Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry on ‘Commercial Agencies under the World Trade Organization Agreements’, 2005
- Dubai Courts: Award from Dubai Courts on launching an innovative online service program named ‘Al Salfa’, which allows e-case registration without the need to be physically present at the Courts’ premises for the first time in the Middle East
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC): Awarded as co-arbitrator, 2018
- Conducted various seminars, solely and as co-panelist, concerning commercial law in the UAE, such as “Drafting International Sales Contracts” organized by the Arbitration Centre of AGCC in liaison with the International Trade Centre, Geneva, Nov. 1999