Hashem is Senior Counsel at Al Aidarous and is a triple-qualified lawyer, as an Advocate by the UAE Ministry of Justice; Attorney by the New York Supreme Court; and a Lawyer by the Supreme Court of Queensland. He is registered with the Government of Dubai Legal Affairs Department, Abu Dhabi Judicial Department and Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Courts. Hashem specialises in international and domestic commercial arbitration as well as complex litigation before UAE Courts.
Hashem offers the Firm’s clients a significant advantage in their business-critical litigation and arbitration disputes. He conducts advocacy in both Arabic and English and is noted for his grasp of both civil law and common law issues across many practice areas and a wide range of industry. Hashem specializes in international and domestic commercial arbitration as well as complex litigation before UAE Courts. Hashem’s experience includes working in private practice and in-house legal departments in the areas of International Commercial Arbitration; Civil and Commercial Litigation; Construction and Engineering Disputes; and Corporate and Commercial Law.
Prior to joining the Firm, Hashem worked as an in-house counsel in one of the top government-owned corporates. He has served as a board member at a UAE-based public joint stock company and at a foreign company. Hashem also trained at international law firms.
- Represented a UAE company in a AED 90M claim related to the construction of a tower.
- Represented a UAE major company in a AED 160M dispute related to a mock agreement as well as irreverence of payment order.
- Represented a UAE company and its guarantor against a bank in a AED 210M dispute related to a loan facilities agreement.
- Represented a group of hotels & restaurants in a AED 50M claim under their insurance policy due to Covid.
- Represented a client in 4 significant multi-million-dirham construction claims, AED 89M, in different forums, including a dispute over forum jurisdiction.
- Represented Claimants (insured parties), seeking significant damages of AED 25M from a Respondent (insurance company) for losses sustained as result of Covid-19, pursuant to an insurance policy.
- Large scale hotel construction dispute exceeding AED 1 billion between two reputable entities
- Involved in providing expert opinion in a multi-party claim involving validity of UAE governed transaction documents & valid and effective security interest over assets.
- Master’s degree in International Corporate and Commercial Law (LLM), King’s College London, UK
- Certificate in DIFC Courts Procedures (DIFC Academy)
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (GDLP), Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- Certificate in Legal Practice (UAE Institute of Training and Judicial Studies)
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), The University of Queensland, Australia
- “Dispute Resolution 2023 Q&A”, LexisNexis Middle East, 2023 (1)
- “Court Changes”, LexisNexis Middle East, Law Alert Magazine, 2023 (3), 26
- “Spotlight”, LexisNexis Middle East, Law Alert Magazine, 2023 (2), 24
- “The Next Steps”, LexisNexis Middle East, Law Alert Magazine, 2023 (3), 26
- “Is international arbitration a judicial or a contractual creature?” 2019
- “Insolvency and Arbitration”, IBA, National Reports Questionnaire, 2023
- Advocate, UAE Ministry of Justice
- Attorney, New York State Supreme Court
- Lawyer, Supreme Court of Queensland
- Registered with the Government of Dubai Legal Affairs Department
- Registered with Abu Dhabi Judicial Department
- Registered with DIFC Courts
- Member of New York State Bar Association
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Arabic – Native
- English – Fluent